Saturday, February 13, 2010

An Open Letter to 2010 GOP Gubernatorial Candidates

From Michigan 94th District State Representative Ken Horn


Expectations of toughness, intelligence and great integrity


Now, I’m just one guy in a state of ten million people, so I suppose you need to take what I say with a grain of salt. I just happen to represent about 90,000 in the House of Representatives, and I’m still looking for the right person to endorse for governor. Michigan needs someone who’ll tell it like it is, and lay out a new vision that will inspire confidence that Michigan will be a better place with their leadership.


I’m looking for a person that can lay out, from A-Z, a plan to straighten out this terrible state budget problem we’ve being facing for a decade. I want someone who knows that the state’s economy is bigger than Lansing, on the other hand, and can fix itself if we simply get government out of the way. This means, of course, a strong leash on state agencies, and boat load of freedom for citizens and entrepreneurs.


While I have been searching for just this effectiveness, I’m also measuring for character. I’m looking for someone who is tough, but doesn’t believe that chivalry is dead. I’m looking for wisdom, tempered with great humility. I want someone who likes people, and takes offense when a harsh word is spoken about Michiganders, even if that person is a political opponent. (Let me say this; I’ve seen some awful political ads lately, which inspired me to write. I’ve met each of the GOP candidates, and they are all very fine and decent men. They deserve to be supported, not attacked. The ads should be denounced, and groups associated with the recent ads against them should be rebuked.)


Negative ads do nothing positive for our great state, even as they might helpful to individual candidates. If you want my support, however, and if you’re asking for the votes of my constituents, each of you must tell us what, precisely, you intend to do. Don’t ballyhoo your opponent’s weaknesses; tell us who you are and what your plans are to fix what’s broken.


I’ve been elected since 1992 and I’m no Pollyanna. I recognize that politics is a rough and tumble business. Men and women who throw their hat into ring deserve much respect, regardless of party. They are gladiators in a battle to make Michigan better. As competitors, when they fall, it is our obligation to pick them up, dust them off and send them back into the fray. Otherwise, what message does it send to voters, as we are pledging to help average Michiganders through some of the very roughest times?


To me, this notion is actually bigger than Ronald Reagan’s 11th Commandment, “Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican”. I don’t believe we should be speaking ill of any Michigan citizen; republican, democrat, or independent. They are citizens and residents after all, and they deserve our respect. And… oh, by the way… they do own this government!


Again, I’m no Pollyanna. But, there’s something to be said for holding on very tightly to our honor. I’ve turned down awful lot of money from folks that wanted to help my campaign, but wanted desperately to go negative in my ads. I refused them, saying that I would rather lose my race then lose my integrity. I expect the same from my gubernatorial candidates!


It will be a tough choice to make with so many top tier GOP contenders to pick from. Each has their own qualities that make them great candidates for Michigan government’s top job.


Here are some my criteria for what makes a good governor:

· Have a strong vision for Michigan: Tell us from A-Z, in kitchen table terms, what you plan to do

· Diversity of Thought: If you’re simply looking for “Yes” people to join your team, you’re walking down the wrong path

· Transparency: We need to know what you’re doing, and why

· Humility: know that you serve the People, and by God, serve them!

· Speak of Justice: Justice for all, but especially for young children, people with disabilities, and frail elderly. Where we can, we need to protect the weakest among us from life’s true predators

· Protect Civil Liberties: Our civil liberties protect us from improper government. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of property: don’t forget this, in everything that you do

· Effectiveness and efficiency: You’ll be the biggest part of our government, how will you make it better

· Honor: Throughout the campaign and in the governor’s office, I fully expect that you will take responsibility for things that swirl about you. Give credit where credit is due, and don’t blame others and point fingers when things don’t go your way.


All of these things, and more, speak of true leadership, which Michigan so desperately needs. The upcoming months will be extremely difficult, as you move along the campaign trail. The hours will be brutal and the weight of Michigan’s problems will begin to settle on your shoulders. We can help lift that burden, as you show us that you can be the governor that Michigan needs today.


Good luck to all


Ken Horn

No comments:

Post a Comment