Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Beginning of the Final Day

As the Sun comes up over Lansing, the House of Representatives prepares for the work day ahead. This is the last day of Michigan’s fiscal year, and the toughest decisions need to be made before we close session today.

I drove back to the district, last night. I got a few hours of sleep, fed the pets and took out the garbage. Life seems to go on, as it will the day after today.

The reforms we don’t make in this budget will be hardships that will need to be made for the 2011 budget year. I want to say again that no one, and I mean no one, is taking any pleasure in balancing this year’s budget crisis. This is a task that carries no glory.

The choices we make will affect public services that our residents want or require, or will effect our families sitting at their kitchen tables, scrambling to make ends meet.

Today, I will be sitting at that kitchen table with the countless families, who are telling us that the checkbooks are closed to politicians. The wallets are empty, and moms and dads are making choices that benefit their families first. I will work to discharge my Promise Scholarship “Plan B” bill to keep our promise to students.

I will continue to monitor change in the education and revenue sharing budgets. I will not put any more burdens on my Michigan working families. Enough is enough!

Those are my goals today!

No comments:

Post a Comment