Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Day After!

Well... here we sit at the Capitol. The plastic cups and pizza boxes are gone, but the dust hasn't completely settled yet. We still have some work to do to clean up the budget mess we created last night.

A contingency budget is in place for a month. And, I believe a solid framework is in place to set the School Aid Budget, before their next quarterly payment in a couple of weeks.

If you followed my blog yesterday, you had a chance to see the ups and downs of government policy making (sometimes good and sometimes not). Michigan Government shut down for a couple of hours last night, but we're in business today.

One thing that really struck me yesterday, was the lack of ugly partisanship (compared to 2007). Oddly enough, the contention in the budget (Just in my opinion) is mostly driven by differences in philosophies by the majority party, on the other side of the aisle. Half the folks can't stomach such deep spending cuts and the other half couldn't get themselves to support tax increases. It left the House of Representatives frozen with inaction for hours at a time, stalemated on by their own disparities.

For me, I feel refreshed after a few hours of sleep. I've driven home each night after session and returned the next morning. In three days, I've driven 5 hours, and slept 7 hours. But, going home always re-energizes the soul. Besides, I get to see the kids, feed the pets, and bring the outside plants in from the frost. Life still goes on in Michigan, as the sun proved today, as it came up again.

I'll keep you posted as things unfold today.

1 comment:

  1. Ken,
    I believe the "other side of the aisle" and your side are hearing the ground swell of public revolt against higher taxes. I am personally monitoring how my legislators vote on tax issues. If they support increased taxes/fees, I will no longer support them at the ballot box. I feel this is the majority position right now. Thanks for the blogging, I find it extremely informative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete